In an excellent post on the website ‘MCC Ottawa Office Notebook’, Esther Epp-Tiessen shares ’10 + 1 Reasons to Oppose War’. The post is worth reading in full, as it is extensively researched and linked to other pieces.
She begins by saying:
Remembrance Day—and, for Anabaptist-Mennonites, Peace Sunday—is once again upon us. It is the season to mourn the loss of human life in war. And the season to commit, once again, to building a culture of peace.
Resistance to war is part of the very heart of MCC. As an agency of Anabaptist-Mennonite churches, MCC holds to the confession that war and participation in war are counter to the way of Jesus. For us, resistance to war is at the core of our identify as pacifist Christians.
But there are many other reasons to oppose war. And we suspect that many Canadians—who may not share our theological commitments—can nevertheless affirm these reasons.
She then outlines ten reasons to oppose war. Here’s the summary, but please do read the whole piece:
- War kills and harms soldiers
- War kills and harms civilians
- War creates refugees
- War harms the natural environment
- War’s financial cost is enormous
- War sets back development
- War empowers the weapons dealers
- War distorts truth
- War does not address root causes
- There are many nonviolent alternatives to war
Read the full post here.