I wrote this two years ago on the 40th anniversary of my commissioning, the day I began full time ministry. I think it still stands.
Things I’d like to tell (or remind) my ‘forty years ago’ self.
- God loves you. You can believe that.
- Praying is important .
- Loving is equally important.
- Never rain on someone’s enthusiasm for Jesus .
- This is not about career advancement or comfortable jobs, it’s about sharing the Gospel .
- Decide what’s important and do your best not to get distracted by what’s not important .
- God is real. We forget this sometimes, and then we think we have to do God’s job.
- Grace means there’s nothing we can do to make God love us less, and nothing we can do to make God love us more. God already loves us infinitely, and nothing is going to change that (thank you, Philip Yancey).
That’ll do for now.